Saturday, September 10, 2022

Consciousness Is Fundamental

At the basic level we know we exist. We cannot deny it. Is this a form of knowledge? I think so, even though it is not conceptual. How do we know we exist? Because there is sense of Being that is aware. We can forget our name, status, and everything else, but that sense of awareness remains. 

This is certainly a form of knowledge, but it is not conceptual. It does not require thought. It does not require proof. It is our primary knowledge, and it is aware. We might say that this awareness is limited to my body. But all living beings seem to have this sense. So existence for living beings is a form of awareness. Those of us who have experienced bliss, know that it seems related to loosing all sense of a personal self, resulting in a vast sense of pure subjectivity. 

Since those ecstatic experiences are so meaningful, they impart a deep sense of truth. If my personal self is ultimately a limited form of this universal self, I infer that all other living beings are ultimately this universal self. It really does make sat, chit, ananda (existence, consciousness, bliss) real for me. 

This is my argument as to why I believe consciousness is fundamental. It is certainly a bigger step to conclude that the universe as a whole is a projection in consciousness. But I think Advaita has made that pretty clear. Bernardo Kastrup is making the case from the scientific and philosophical areas of knowledge. 

No comments: