Monday, May 29, 2023

Feelings

The best definition I've found for feelings is that they are "automatic value judgments." When someone expresses their feelings to you,  you can respect that they feel that way. However, it is an automatic value judgment and may not be currently valid. It may even be an irrational value judgment. 

You must acknowledge your own feelings, as well as others. But, you can question your own feelings, and other's feelings as to their current validity. The feelings may or may not be rational or practical. 

So many of our feelings were programmed when we were children. They often reflect the environment we had in our childhood. If the childhood environment was crazy or abusive, those feelings may be counterproductive in the outside world. Those values were only valid for surviving in that crazy family and are currently counterproductive. 

Therapy is excellent at unearthing repressed feelings. It is good to unearth them, feel them, and process them.  I personally respect my feelings, but I question them, and if I find they are not reflective of the truth I now know, or on reflection don't find them practical or productive, I let them go.

No comments: