Saturday, October 23, 2021

Is Consciousness Fundamental

I've read pretty much everything J. Krishnamurti ever wrote. It was great stuff for unravelling my conditioning. I had a lot and it caused a lot of pain. Made me realize that the more out of touch with reality one is, the more one suffers. That's a generalization, of course, but overall, quite true. The deepest part of me kept intuiting that the level of mental anguish I had could not be normal or in line with what life was meant to be. I spent a lot of years in Gestalt therapy and did a lot of dreamwork. Came out the other side pretty freed up. Well worth my time and effort. 

Now, when I read J. Krishnamurti, I get nothing from it. So, I conclude that JK is great for getting you to release your conditioning, but he does not point well to a path to enlightenment. Nisargadatta, Franklin Merrell-Wolff, and William Samuel are very exquisite at pointing out methods to subtler, higher levels of consciousness. I especially like William Samuel as his method is direct pointing to awareness as fundamental. 

As David Hawkins and others point out clearly, you can't prove the existence of God. Some of us feel it. Some of us don't. In the end each of us have to become an authority unto ourselves. If you think you've got the truth and you get fanatic about it, you probably are fooling yourself. But, if you have that self authority and humility at the same time, then I think you can trust it.

 So many sciences follow rigorous logic and the scientific method. Still, there are always some basic assumptions that are just fundamental. I think the issue of consciousness being fundamental is one of those basic assumptions. You either start from there or you don't. After that point, whatever follows is on a different track. There's no bridge between them. It's too fundamental. 

2 comments:

Graham Giles said...

Good article Maury. I've tried to read Krishnamurti but I found him hard going.

I like what he once said to a group of his long term students, who were telling him they had been with him for years and had still not "broken through". It was something along the lines of;

"Do you know the difference between you and me?"

"No."

"I don't mind what happens."

About God; when I saw Barry Long in London, he said that the reason we don't know there's a God (or many of us don't) is because we don't know what it is for there not to be one - if you didn't have God inside you propping you up all the time, you wouldn't be able to withstand the pressures and stresses of your life. The reason we don't know this is because it never happens.

We're always supported by God internally, whether we know it or not.

SvensBericht said...

I found J. Krishnamurti to not be helpful at all. I felt not addressed by him.