Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Subjective I

The subjective "I" seems universal to me. I have it, my wife has it, my dog has it. Donkeys have it. So, can this Maury expression claim "awareness" is just mine? In a sense, yes, because the expression is unique in its particulars. 

On the other hand, I sense the subjective awareness in others, unique, yes, but the same basic subjective sense of "I". For me, seeing that this sense appears universal, and I just arrived here with it, something else is responsible for it. I'm just living out this particular instance. Whatever is the origin and what to call it is another matter. 

I seem to have lost my sense of doership. It's a bit scary. There's much to be acknowledged as "unknown." But that's okay. It's seems rather peaceful to be done with having to perfect an ego. Not that I don't have a personal sense of "I", but it just seems rather insignificant. I just enjoy what is when I can, and suffer the slings and arrows when I can't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to Robert Wolfe, psychological suffering is supposed to cease completely when you Realize you are THAT.

Maury Lee said...

Robert Wolfe isn't the only one to make that claim. On the other hand many realized teachers don't make that claim. Perhaps a matter of how deeply the realization has taken root. I pretty much take the position that there is a continuum. The fruits of realization accrue to the extent that the realization is lived.