Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Brain Bliss

When I don't have to go to work, and I have a good night's sleep, I often awake with a physical sense of bliss in my brain. I like the feeling of it.

It feels physical. It's as if I feel directly my whole physical brain inside my skull, and the feeling is exquisite. It's peaceful, it's just plain goodness.

This doesn't happen on week days when I wake to the alarm and have to transition into going to work. There is no space in that mode for sleeping in, laying till the body-mind is rested.

It makes one wonder what the modern world and its slavery to time has done to our natural state. J. Krishnamurti got it right when he talked about the violence of every day life. There is a violence to time, an imposition on the natural state.

This waking to physical bliss in the brain is something that just happens. I don't look for it; don't expect it. It just happens, and when it does, I always have a good day. Everything goes slow and easy.

What is it? I don't know.

2 comments:

Jarett said...

Prior to falling asleep I often set the intention to wake up before the alarm goes off, and it works every time. Then I can turn the alarm switch off before it goes off. I've found this to be a much more peaceful way to get up in the morning on work days. I usually use the prayer form of intention... "Please wake me up in the morning".

This whole practice also has us question the identity of "self". If my body/mind is asleep, how am I waking myself up exactly on time? Am I the body/mind, or something else?

Maury Lee said...

Great insight into how to question.